BCSARA CISM Program
Critical Incident Stress Management
Mental Health For Volunteers
The BC Search and Rescue Association operates the largest all-volunteer critical incident support network in North America. We provide peer support, post-incident debriefing and resiliency resources to help our SAR volunteers deal with the stresses experienced during Search and Rescue operations.
What Is A Critical Incident?
Critical Incidents are powerful events that can potentially create a significant and strong physiological response at the time of the incident or at a later time.
Critical Incident Stress
Critical Incident Stress is a common reaction to abnormal events. SAR Volunteers are exposed to this stress as a part of their work. Learn more about critical incident stress.
Stress Management (CISM)
The Critical Incident Stress Management (CISM) program delivers services to help SAR volunteers deal with critical incident stress. Learn about these tools and techniques here.
Any SAR member or family member of a SAR volunteer can activate the CISM program by calling 1-800-663-3456.
COVID-19 Impacts to the BCSARA CISM Program
Not All Wounds Are Visible
Mental Health Resources for SAR Volunteers and Family Members of SAR Volunteers:
- Advice For Family & Friends
- Warning Signs of Trauma Related Stress
- Managing Critical Incident Stress: Things to Try FOR YOURSELF
- Developing A Healthy Lifestyle
- Emotional Health Issues for Families of Disaster Workers
- Managing Traumatic Stress: Tips for Recovering From Disasters
and Other Traumatic Events
- Calming Down
- Signs and Symptoms of Critical Incident Stress
- Recognizing Critical Incident Stress
- Repetitive Stress
- Family Coping Strategies
- Stress Survival Suggestions
- Advice To Partners & Friends Of Survivors of Critical Incident Stress
- You Are Not Alone! Following A Disaster Or Tragic Experience
Downloadable CISM program brochures and Info PDFs
5 ways first responders can focus on mental health during the COVID-19 pandemic
First responders on the front lines are dealing with increased pressure, heightened stress and certainly new risks during this situation
CISM Program Support During COVID-19 Outbreak
CISM Supports for SAR volunteers continues during the COVID-19 outbreak.
Provincial Funding Announcement
The entire Ground Search and Rescue community in British Columbia is delighted with the Province’s announcement of $18.6 million to fund the 80 recognized GSAR groups across BC
P.O. Box 2176